Is it possible to submit a NEW Auth for a different amount than the original Auth?

We are doing a client implementation and the request is: is it possible to can submit an auth for $100 and then re-submit a *new* auth for $105 using the transaction id (so without the credit card details)?

• it would be possible with the vault feature. Basically after the first vault the transaction can be tokenized. We would then give you a data key to represent that card data. You can then submit a second auth using the data key. The first auth if not used should be released by doing a $0 capture. If doing that though you may need to consider card on file rules.

What would be the reason for two auths?
  • In reply to RR_Moneris:

First of all, thank you very much for the quick response.

Secondly, here's some additional detail for you:

- The reason for the two auths is that the Order has been edited between the Auth and intended capture. Normally we void the auth and then re-auth with new (or stored) card data, but in this case we don't have stored card data (it's coming from an external ordering system and that is not passing the card data on the edit).

- We're looking for a way to re-auth for a different amount, without having all the card data (sounds like we'd use the data key here in this case).

- I read this as 'you can re-auth with the token', which is different from saying 'you can re-auth the same transaction for more money'. Any confirmation or elaboration on this is appreciated.

Thank you!
  • In reply to cdot:

If needing a new auth that is more than the original auth there is no way to do that unless the card holder resubmits the card or if you have the card stored on file.

There are compliances rules around auth / capture. For example you might not be allowed to complete the auth for more than the original capture. Also any auth has to be reversed when it is determined that it will not be used... it would be best to check with our compliance team in regards to such rules. you can email Compliance@moneris.com.

However if any technical questions / features about our gateway I can help you with that.
  • In reply to RR_Moneris:

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the good detail. Please consider my question resolved and if we have any technical questions, we'll create a new community post.

Thank you again.
  • In reply to cdot:

that's great thanks for the feedback.