Order_ID Reuse Payment API

Good Day,

One of our web developers has sent me to look into something concerning Order_ID's via the merchant gateways.  From another document I located, the Order ID was defined as:

Merchant-defined transaction identifier that must be unique for every Purchase, Pre-Authorization and Independent Refund transaction. No two transactions of these types may have the same order ID. 

My question is if a transaction is declined for any reason, whether it be a failure or decline, can we attempt that transaction again using the same Order ID or do we need to provided a new one for each and every attempted transaction. 

The developer thought it could be used again (for example a Sale ID / Internal Order ID) in the case of a declined payment / Failed transaction however we recently had an occurrence where we attempted to use the same Order ID on a payment and received the "The transaction was not sent to the host because of a duplicate order id" error.  

Please let me know if more clarification is required. 

Thanks,

Ron

• hello,
    Order_id is unique to the transaction and cannot be reused . If your purchase failed, you need to retry the process with a new order_id. The only time you reference to the order_id in another transaction is when you do a pre auth and you want to capture the amount in the pre-auth. In this case, you would use the order_id again so that the capture can reference back to the correct pre-auth
  • In reply to Nik_Moneris:

Thank you for the quick response!