How can I get the card issuer from a Pinpad transaction ?

Hello,

We want to use the Pinpad solution for card present transaction at our POS, but we also need to know the issuing bank of the card because we automatically apply promotion discounts based on the issuing bank of the credit card.

Normally the first digits of the PAN are for identifying the card type and issuing bank, but in the Integration Guide it says the transaction response only returns the last 4 digits of the PAN, so is there a way to know what is the issuing bank of the credit card with the API ?

Thanks

• Hi,

There is no way to determine the issuing bank using our APIs. You could perhaps check via the first 4 digits of the card, but I'm fairly sure there are compliance rules against rewarding card holders based on their issuing bank. You can always check with our compliance team in regards to that to be sure: Compliance@moneris.com
  • In reply to RR_Moneris:

Yes I could check the first 4 digits, but that was precisely my problem, pinpad transaction only returns the last 4 digits.
  • In reply to Jo81:

So is it a Moneris Gateway integration? .net or Java? What version of the API?

Merchant Integration Guide Card Present Integration with Chip Card and Contactless Support
    .net DLL v1.3.02

I was looking at this document for processing transactions in our shopping cart application using Pinpad in order to avoid entering credit card numbers inside our application.

But we need to get the issuing bank of the credit card that was used, so that we can perform a pre-auth, apply a discount based on the bank, and capture the new amount.

Is it possible to do that ? Maybe using .NET Moneris Gateway API 1.1.4 along with it ?

thank you
  • In reply to Jo81:

So the only reason you want to use a pinpad is to reduce PCI / PA DSS scope? And you want to use pinpad for Card Not Present transactions only? If so you might want to consider using our Encrypted MSR reader. It's a lot less demanding in terms of certification / dev work: "developer.moneris.com/.../Encrypted MSR"

In regards to rewarding users based on issuing bank I'm checking with our compliance team in regards to that. Again I suspect card brands may not allow that.

Perhaps it would be easier if you email our support group to continue this conversation. You can email eProducts@moneris.com attention Renaud. You can provide your number there as well so I can give you a call and discuss further.

We process both card present (pos) and not present (website) transactions, but my concern here is for the card present transactions, for which we want to use Pinpad to indeed reduce PCI DSS scope. For "card-not-present" transactions we will use vault transactions and with that api we can get the first 4 digit so it works for us.

For the "brand-reward-compliance" thing, for what I know, adding fees for one type of card may not be compliant, but I don't think doing reduction for targeted customers based on their card type is the same thing. Because everyone including customers paying cash will pay the same regular price, except one specific credit card brand will have a reduction.

I thought of using Encrypted MSR, but aren't mag swipe systems going to be obsolete in a near future, being replaced by chips and contactless cards ? Also, using Encrypted MSR can we get the first card digits or issuing bank id ? If no then it does not solve our problem.
  • In reply to Jo81:

If you want to handle Card Present transactions than you are right, a Pinpad would be ideal. At this point though it might be best if you email eproducts@moneris.com, and we can discuss further from there. If you leave your number there I can call you as well.