Is it mandatory to execute Pre-Authorization Completion after Pre-authorization with CVD & AVS ?

Hi,

We have business requirement to verify customer card with CVD & AVS and once verified then charge the customer credit card with Pre-authorization with CVD & AVS.

As per documentation, they said it is mandatory to implement Pre-Authorization Completion after Pre-authorization with CVD & AVS. Is it true ?

Here are the steps

1. Verify Credit Card with CVD & AVS

2. CVD & AVS match then execute "Pre-Authorization with CVD & AVS"

3.  If CVD or AVS match then Should I execute "Pre-Authorization Completion" in order to complete payment transaction ? or Should I consider "Pre-Authorization with CVD & AVS" response as final result ?

Please suggest how should we move forward in order to complete payment transaction with pre-authorization?

Thanks in Advance !!

Baljeet Singh

• Hello Baljeet,

You can follow the sequence you outlined in your post above.

It may be better to
    a) Preauth with CVD and AVS for the full amount
    b) Complete for the full amount
    c) Void the Completion/capture.
    *this releases the funds back onto the card immediately and does not appear on the cardholder's billing statement.

You may also do this:
    a) Preauth with CVD and AVS for the full amount
    b) Complete for the $0.00
    *wait for the preauth to release, depending on a bank this can be immediate or take a few days.

Hope the above helps. Cheers.
  • In reply to ND_Moneris:

Thanks for your reply. I am confused now. You mentioned two way to do transaction. One method with do the complete (Pre-Authorization Completion Process) for example $100. What is void ? Would it mean return nothing as response or should I consider as Void/Ignore completion.

In second method, you said Complete (Pre-Authorization Completion Process) with $0.00. Why we are process $0.00 instead we need to charge $100 ?

Please correct me If I am wrong. I appreciate if you describe me the process flow based on my requirement.
    What steps/process/method should I use like

1. Card Verification with AVS & CVD
    2. if success then execute Pre-Authorization with CVD & AVS
    3. If success then execute Completion or Capture

Please let me know what is go way to complete transaction with CVD & AVS.

Thanks!!
  • In reply to Baljeet:

Ok so it appears you did not go to our Developer Portal and read the basic transaction specs. Please do so at . Please see introduction sections for each transaction.  

For void, please see the following section: Purchase Correction/Void

Once you are done there, please re-read the below explanation with more details:

a) Preauth with CVD and AVS for the full amount (ex. $100.00, you are locking this amount on the card)

b) Complete for the full amount (ex. $100.00, you are now charging the amount from the locked/preauthed amount)

c) Void the Completion/capture.  (Void/Purchase Correction will cancel the completion amount)

*this releases the funds back onto the card immediately and does not appear on the cardholder's billing statement

You may also do this:

a) Preauth with CVD and AVS for the full amount (ex. $100.00, you are locking this amount on the card)

b) Complete for the $0.00 (you are telling the bank that you want to charge the $0.00 to this transaction, essentially you are clearing the locked funds).

*wait for the preauth to release, depending on a bank this can be immediate or take a few days. However, the original preauth will appear on the billing statement.